Still Life with Ferns

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My photography club had an outing a few days ago to a local park that has many types of flowers blooming at this time of year. Everyone else came away with lovely images of flowers. I came back with stuff like this. I find these types of things more interesting.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Olympus OM-5 with Olympus 12-200mm zoom at 162mm
1/80 sec @ f6.3, ISO 1000

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

I’m with you, Chris. I so enjoy these spring signs of life. Are these fern fronds? Great detail in the fronds and perfect handling of the soft darker background. Sounds like it was a great outing for all.

Oh I would be on the ground right with you! I don’t think the ferns are up yet, but I’m hoping to do more work with them this year. The litter the yard and basically everywhere else and so why not? I like the unusual pale color of these and their fun texture - like fur almost. The other mosses and the oak leaf are so much a part of where these grow. I wonder if a wider aperture would have done you a favor with the background. Might have had to stack a few shots though, to get this level of depth on the ferns themselves. If you can crop or tone down the blue bits at the top of the frame, that might be helpful. There’s such a feeling of renewal here and a tinge of excitement at the prospect of spring.

I like your choice Chris, you chose an extra ordinary subject! I noticed some ferns coming up today while hiking, but they sure don’t look like these “hairy” ones. I’m looking forward to having some delicious sauteed fiddleheads soon. This is a nice intimate scene you’ve captured Chris, with 3 differently-sized subjects showing off their fronts and sides. Although it’s a busy scene, the ferns stand out well against the darker background, they are sharp, and nothing really draws my attention away from them, except that big leaf next to the small one. All in all, really nicely seen and photographed Chris.

I like your family of three here, Chris. The different sizes are visually pleasing for me. I like the little one having such a big visible curl in the foreground. It’s such a promise of growth and such an interesting stage. I need to spend more time on curls.

I guess the “fur” kind of makes me think of the three bears. :blush: I don’t mind the background. I think you’ve done a good job of drawing the eye to the subjects, and I think it’s pretty hard (and unnatural?) to have a clean forest floor. I do tend to go for those flashy flowers, so I admire your eye.

These are cool and cute!! A wonderful find with lovely light and the perfect shooting angle. All said above! I’d also be elbowing my way in there with you and @Kris_Smith.

@linda_mellor @Kris_Smith @Diane_Miller @karlag @Jim_Lockhart Thank you all for your wonderful comments and suggestions.

2 Likes

Beautiful baby ferns, Chris. I really like the angle you got. I could see using a stack to isolate them from the surrounding habitat, but at the same time, I like that habitat. I think a better option might just be some very selective burning and dodging to make them stand out from the background. A fine image either way.

Hi Chris
I have to laugh because I was thinking of fungi and fern fronds when this subject came up. I think I would have preferred to see a side view with the curl rather than face on. The focus is lovely, and everything is sharp, except for the background which you would expect.

@Dennis_Plank @madd_laura Thank you for you comments and feedback.

Chris, this is a very attractive clump of young ferns, plus I like how they stand out from the background. It does feel a bit on the dark side, so I wonder about some mid-tone dodging of the lower parts of the ferns and the foreground.