Untitled

An area I have driven by for 25 years and never stopped to try and capture.

Specific Feedback Requested

2 images of this site and wondering which works better from a composition perspective, but any and all comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Hi Mario, I prefer the longer focal length (zoomed-in) version. It removes much of the surrounding trees and branches that compete with the river for attention in the first shot. The framing and lower perspective of the river in the second shot draw the viewer’s eye diagonally from the bottom left to the top right towards the large boulder and the fallen tree.

The second image is simpler, and therefore much stronger to me. The first image leaves me unclear as to what is the primary subject, or what story you want to tell. The second image is much more structured and focused (even though it has a lot of elements within it). Due to its composition, the second image has a better visual flow as well, my eye gets led from the LLC to the URC. In the first image, the stream alone does not create a strong visual flow, everything gets blocked up in the mid-ground.

And I agree with @Jon_Norris, the lower perspective is more attractive, and makes me feel like I am standing in the stream. This works really well.

The first image is a stronger comp and more engaging. However the yellows are too dominant and I would adjust that. Especially because they flow to the edge of the frame.

Thank you all, @Igor_Doncov @Ed_McGuirk @Jon_Norris, for your time and comments . Appreciated.

1 Like

Hi Mario. The first image - There a lot of very nice elements but put all together it becomes very busy. The second image is better but still somewhat busy. I downloaded the 2nd image and played with it to see if I could reduce that feel. I cropped the left side because the upper left side doesn’t really offer anything to the image. I cropped a little bit of the bottom just to maintain the aspect rato close to your original. I then darkened the water and blank areas some to reduce the overload of things that catch your eye. I don’t know that I suceeded, but it was funn to try.

Thank you for the comments and revision Bill @Bill_Chambers . I do struggle with simplifying images frequently. The revison is insightful