Untitled

When hiking with some mates we found a field full of these small flowered all in blossom.
It was a cold morning with the sun just going up and warming the colours of these fragile petals.

The warm colour of the leafs and the gorgeous tones of the flowers caught my eye.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Do the composition work?
Are there a lot of distractions around the flower? Or details to explore.

Technical Details

1s, f/16, ISO 50 at 167mm

The little flowers are so pretty, and I like how the surrounding area shows them pushing up through old dead leaves as the start of new life. I’m curious what a square crop would look like, but it might eliminate too much of the context.

1 Like

Oh what a gorgeous little grouping. They look like a kind of crocus. I’m of a mind with Karla about finding a balance with subject and environment. Forest floors are inherently messy places, but I think a little clean up could have helped here if you had the time. Remove a few leaves, especially the bright yellow one at the top of the group, lean a few grass bits out of frame, move the stick…it all helps. The light is the star, too, and so I might have cropped a bit closer to the group of flowers to see if I could emphasize that aspect. With this I’d see if lifting the mid tones in the flowers could help illuminate them as well. With masking it could be quite precise. What a breath of spring this is, thanks for posting it.

2 Likes

Thank you Karla and Kristen.

I did try a 1:1 crop but it remove some of the information of the surroundings.
Indeed a small clean would be make a difference and would be pretty easy. Something to keep in mind next time :slightly_smiling_face:
The light of the flower was already lifted a little bit with local adjustment, at the time more seamed a bit to much to me, but maybe it could pushed a little more.

Thank you for you feedback. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like