Unusually snowy conditions in Las Vegas

When I left Wisconsin, it was snowing. When I arrived in Las Vegas, it was snowing. The next day when I left Vegas for Death Valley, it was snowing! The deserts and mountains were coated in a gorgeous snow with awesome swirling clouds. When I am driving to a place, I have a really bad habit of never stopping and sometimes driving by potentially great photographs. I debated for a long time whether or not to pull over but I’m glad I did this time. A couple people even stopped their cars too and asked me for my business card when they saw my tripod because they’d never seen so much snow! :laughing:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This shot wasn’t 100% sharp :frowning: It works for web and probably small prints.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

ISO 100, 500mm, f/11, 1/200. In the spirit of full disclosure, I added just a little bit of fake cloud to the right side of the image to give it a more complete look.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@brentgoesoutsidephoto

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Very nice and well balanced, it seems a vision from a magical world - reminds me of a scene from the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon movie… Well seen and well represented!

Very nice work Brent, glad you stopped.

I think we were around there the same time, it was crazy how much snow they had in the mountains!

Very nice shot, Brent! It was a good decision to stop! I always love it when the mountains peek out from the clouds. This would have been a stopper for me also. I can’t tell where you added some clouds so it was obviously a good job.

Brent, the peak-a-boo mountain creates a fine mysterious scene. I don’t see the softness in the large view, but also think that subtle softness may contribute to the mood. I too, often drive past a scene thinking about when I’ll get back and how to time it, etc. only to realize the I should have stopped!

Brent: Hard to judge the scale here which is a good thing. I lived in Las Vegas for three years and can’t place this peak. Mysterious image in a couple of ways.>=))>

I like this one Brent. The foggy conditions make me want to know more about the scene. It drew me in!

Thanks everybody!