Up Close & Personal

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I usually don’t even photograph Canada Geese as they just don’t seem to generate much interest for me. While down at a local pond today, this one decided to walk right in front of me, so… what the heck, decided to make a portrait. Made me laugh a bit with the piece of grass hanging out of the mouth.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

This is completely full frame so no extra room.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Olympus EM1-X
Olympus 300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
1/800 @ f/6.3, ISO 200
HandHeld

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Keith,
Great exposure on this - looks like you nailed the blacks and whites to me. Great details. Love the bit of grass too. Maybe add some space on top. well done.

You certainly nailed it. He looks contemplative. :slight_smile:

Hi Keith, I’m with you on Canadian Geese. Too many of them just lulling about. I DO like photographing them when they doing SOMETHING! LOL

Good light, good sharpness, fine bgnd and I like the piece of straw he’s chomping on.

I like it!

Jim

Very nice portrait with good blacks and whites. You’ve made the ubiquitous goose look interesting. Good Job.

I see you’ve moved up to the Olympus EM1-X. How does this compare to the MI Mark II. In looking through the specs there doesn’t seem to be enough difference to justify the price of the EM1-X and it weighs almost a pound more.

Looks like the old stereotypical farmer, Keith. Nice job on the black and white combination. Despite being full frame, you might think about adding a touch of canvas on top.

I’ve only had the EM1-X for a few days. So far really enjoying the ergonomics of the camera as well as the extended features from the EM-1 II which I really like as well. Guess it is up to each photographer to determine if the cost is worth the difference between any 2 cameras.