Utah Badlands

This was one of those side-of-the-road pullover immediately type of shots. As the sun set below the horizon, I witnessed some of the most intense desert glow. I loved the way that these badlands were just singing with this light.

What drew me to this specific part of badlands was how each (badland Finn?) rotates around the frame converging in the middle.

Specific Feedback Requested

ANY Processing and Composition

I’ve been in a processing rut for a few months now and feel like I’m missing something. Maybe the badland wizard can help me out with this one? :sunglasses:

Also, how do you manage color casts when a “natural color cast” is present? I want some color separation in this scene but I also want to stay somewhat true to what I saw. Did I accomplish this with this image?

Technical Details

This image was taken at blue hour with a vibrant red horizon casting a beautiful warm glow on these badlands.

400mm | 15 Sec. | f/11 | ISO 100

Trevor! Good to hear from ya again!

When it comes to color casts, wether it’s natural, intentional or created by added contrast or saturation, you want to manage accordingly. Yes, there will be scenes that have a natural cast, but instead of the cast being at 100%, why not 50%? This will spread colors out and give the image more separation, and in some cases more depth. Some cases I will leave the cast intentionally…but in selective areas, then remove in others. Each scene is different…there’s no go to formula. I let the light dictate how I process each scene.

For example with your image. Theres a slight purplish/blue cast across the image. If this image were mine, I would add a hint of red to the section of badlands on the left with the light. That area is getting light, so I’d have that area warmer. The shadow area I would leave with cooler tones, or with that color cast…but only in the shadows.
You have that darker area in the top right of the frame which isn’t very consistent with the rest of the scene, definitely would address that.

I know the color cast issue is a hard one to grasp, but trust me, it makes a huge difference on how images feel and look. :wink:

You know how to get a hold of me, reach out to me if you need any more info.

DT