Badlands of Utah

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition appreciated as well as color balance.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Three image focus stack

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I found this comp in a new area of badlands that I scouted in So UT last week. In the three days I spent in this location I didnt see another soul - quite refreshing to know that if you put the time/effort in that one can still find something unique to shoot. The purpose of posting and requesting feedback is that this area was almost unrealistically colorful. In the right lighting conditions (late evening) with filtered sunlight the badlands literally was saturated in color. I’ve desaturated this image and outside of focus stacking have not made any other significant RAW file adjustments. Thanks in advance!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

The beauty of an intimate composition like this is that it can be interpreted in so many different ways. The texture here is exquisite, George and I really like how the two “patterns” sort of merge in the middle. Because the brighter part of the FG is quite close to the edge of the frame, it feels a little imbalanced for me. Not that it is necessary a bad thing in itself but I think you could play with a little bit of dodging and burning to shape the image a little more.

Beautiful light, textures and colors here George. This is one of those exceptions that successfully breaks the rule about avoiding 50/50 horizons. Both halves of this image are very strong, and they work really well together. I also like that the foreground lines leads your eye to the small green bush in the center of image. I do agree with @Adhika_Lie, i would considering burning down the left half of the foreground to bring it more into tonal balance with the right side.

I can imagine how excited you were seeing this landscape and having it all to yourself. It is an I ncredibly beautiful image. I agree with the others that the left side should be darkened a bit to balance the image better. This is a little issue but the rock creeping in on the right side distracts me and I would crop it out. Overall very nicely done.

George, I too like the semi-abstract view with the similar but distinct patterns. I agree that toning down the brightness of the lower left would improve the viewing balance.