Utah badlands

This is my first post here.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

critique

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

comp/processing (I suck at processing)

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

I shot this with a drone in the same area that apparently everyone else visited in the past 2 weeks. Shot from Mavic Pro 2 before sunrise.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
4 Likes

Hi Bruce! Well, this is fabulous! My only comment is that the bit of rocky scene in the lower right catches my eye. Maybe just downplaying it a bit or cloning out the rocky bits to reduce the amount of texture there?

edit: Just saw your comment about your processing. It looks fine to me. Perhaps doing more targeted processing to direct our eyes about as you would want. This would go for that bit in the lower right. Perhaps warming up the alluvial fan debris to make it more prominent?

1 Like

Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the network! Nice aerial shot with some compelling patterns.

I would look to increase the saturation of the warm tones using the HSL sliders in camera raw/Lightroom and slightly decrease the saturation of the cool tones. The blues look great to me but are a little overpowering for me.

1 Like

Beautiful image, I love the sediments deposited and the texture and color contrast with the badlands… A textbook of geomorphology. Very nice.

1 Like

I actually took the blue down and cranked the warmth. This location goes seriously blue before/after sunrise/sunset. Although I think I may play with the top left area and tone it down a bit. Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Welcome Bruce. A unique view of the wonderful rock formations of the badlands. The range of colors seen there vary widely but I personally didn’t see much of the blue tones. The drone provided a pleasing design and a completely different perspective. Nicely done.

Fantastic first post Bruce. This is a very nice geomorph shot. (You are too modest; the processing looks great to me.)

This is very nice and I quite like it as is. What a great view!