Varied Thrush

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was going through files looking for winter images and found this one from the thaw day after the snow and realized I’d never processed one from this sequence.

Specific Feedback

I had some junk on the left edge that I didn’t like and did some cloning that hopefully isn’t too obvious.

Anything is fair game.

Technical Details

Sony A7Riv, FE200-600 @ 600, gimbal head mounted to blind, f/8, 1/160, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 7464x5384. Taken at 8:51 AM on February 15th 2021 under overcast skies.

Wonderful subject and capture, lovely BG and composition, but the browns went very blue.

Hi Diane. Up here those “browns” are slightly bluish gray. The colors look pretty close to how I see them here.

What a weird coincidence. On another forum a person mentioned that she thought of me while bird watching and mentioned seeing this exact species. We don’t have them up here so I’ve never seen one and then you post this. Fun.

I like the pose and the setting, but it doesn’t have as much sparkle as I’d expect for a dew covered scene. Lifting the mid tones usually works for this as does adding micro contrast (texture). It’s such a dramatic little thing and I like the pose very much. Engaging.

HI Dennis
Well this makes the second new bird for me today. The framing, head turn and eye contact are great and am sure the coloring is current.
Peter

Good pose and the colors look right for the ones I see in my locale. I like the setting as well.

Wow, what a striking bird and well captured! Love the bird’s color against the green. The pose with that head turn is terrific. Well done.

Nice head turn and love the surrounding pines! Nicely executed Dennis!