Veil (Yosemite National Park)

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@luizarroyo_photo

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Luiz,

If there’s ever a compelling reason to visit an iconic vista, this would have to be one of them. Yosemite, it’s geologic layout, weather patterns, etc. just create such conditions that moments like this happen quite often. Beautiful capture from here. with the sun pushing through and Bridal Veil just peaking through “clearing storm”, you’ve captured a keeper for sure.

I don’t mind the hot clouds - after all, that’s the sun coming through. I do wish for a little breathing space to the left of Half Dome, but that’s fairly minor.

Can’t wait to get back there myself. thanks for sharing!

Lon

1 Like

Thank You Lon! Yeah, I struggled a lot with the crop. I liked having Bridalveil Fall centered in the image, but I did think it left Half Dome a bit too close to the left edge. It’s tough. Half Dome is so iconic that it draws the eye even when it is way in the background of an image.

As for iconic vistas like Tunnel View, I see a lot of debate lately from photograpghers about whether to shoot the icons. For me, no matter how much it has previously been shot, a place like Tunnel View is still just absolutely magical with conditions like this. I had a blast that morning! Even in normal conditions, a vista like Tunnel View or Valley View is always worth a stop just to take it all in.

Beautiful dramatic conditions in Yosemite. I would echo Lon’s thoughts, the hot sky doesn’t bother me, but I would like some extra room on the left (add some canvas and fill it a bit?).

Very beautiful and moody image. I agree with everyone else that the sun coming through the clouds looks fine. I did play around with a Darks 4 luminosity mask to select the trees on the right and lighten them up a little. That might be worth considering.