Views of Vixen Geyser

During a stroll through the Norris, Back Basin area last fall, I found Vixen geyser erupting almost constantly. As a regular visitor (not a few days, pass through visitor), I had the opportunity to spend some time “exploring” different views of this geyser in action. My opening view (the 3rd post) was what I would call a pretty typical tourist capture the event view, but gradually I started looking closer, trying to capture some of the details of the action with flying/splashing water and the color in the pool (post 2). Pushing further into that exploration I focused even tighter on the base of the geyser (not shown). Upon returning home, I liked some of what I saw in the tightest view, but wanted better colors and a better distribution of the action. Several days later, I was back, strictly looking at the action details around the top of the pool. For me all of the splashing action around the edges is quite striking (1st post). I do not consider this a closed subject, since I think there are a number of ways to possibly improve on what I think is currently the most interesting view (1st post). Since these are fall views, it will be interesting to see if there are color changes when I’m back in another month. I’m also anxious to try other shutter speeds and to see what this looks like in bright sun as both shoots were under overcast skies.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Mark: Thanks for this; I’m headed to Yellowstone the first week of June and will be looking for this spot. I really like the first image and your SS choice. Nicely done. >=))>

This is a cool set of images, Mark. I agree that the first image is most interesting. I look forward to what else you might do with this.