Violet Bloom

I took this this morning in our little flower garden. I think it is called a Violet, someone gave me a few plants some years ago, and I think that was the name of it. Correct me if I am wrong. Comments and critiques are appreciated.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Square format and centered work?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D II, Canon 100 mm L macro lens with KX-800 twin flash and diffuser. Settings manual at 1/90/, f13, ISO 160. Handheld.
(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Shirley, this is a beautiful photo of this tiny little violet. I love the detail in the center and the DOF truly helps to make the flower stand out. My only “nit” . . . and this is just me, is I might tone down your copyright logo just a bit as it seems a tad bright. . . .for me. Otherwise, I just love this little flower only wish I had some of these in my garden. I must stick with foliage the deer won’t eat. . .argh!

1 Like

Shirley: Really well exposed and I like hoe your DOF choice and the lower luminosity of the BG helps to isolate the flower. The centered comp works for me as well. Nicely done. >=))>

1 Like

Beautifully portrayed Shirley. Only this morning, I added the ones in my yard to my “shoot” list. Really think the colors are right on, enjoying the detail and separation from the foliage. Hey, she’s the star so center stage is appropriate. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Beautiful violet and macro image, Shirley. It is easy to reduce the opacity of your name by lowering the opacity in the layers panel. I like to go down to where the name is clear, but not pronounced. The focus in all area of the flower is excellent. Did you do focus stacking? Is it possible, maybe with content-aware, to get rid of that thin line going through the leaf at th right. This is a minor thing that real does not diminish the image anyway. Great image for me as we have had an April blast of winter in Minnesota.

1 Like

Pretty sure this is indeed a violet, Shirley - so tiny and so difficult to get a good image of - but that’s what you’ve certainly done here. The petal textures have come out beautifully and the dof is perfecr for my taste, with the flower nicely placed in the frame.

Larry, it was late last night when I saw your comment, so I am getting back to you now. No, this was just a single image, not focus stacked. Thank you for the suggestion to remove that line between the pedals. I think that would be an improvement. I have fixed my copyright info, so shouldn’t be as blaring in any future images I post.

Nicely done Shirley. You must have been laying on the ground to capture this tiny flower. Sure sign of spring. No nits here. Beautiful image.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Lovely, violet. Larry

1 Like

You surely succeeded to make a protagonist of the little modest violet. For this result I think that the square format and centered subject was a good choice. We have a similar flower in our mountains.

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

You have a nice image of a violet. Comp works well for this type of flower and your exposure is perfect. I like the dark area below the flow which brings out some separation between flower and BG. Well done…Jim

1 Like