Blue Flowers

I shot this a few days ago in our flower garden. My photographer friend gave me a few of these last year to transplant into our garden, and they are doing well. I can’t remember what she called them. All comments and critiques welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Shot handheld with Canon 5D II, Canon 100 mm L lens with KX-800 twin flash and diffuser. Setttings manual, f13, 1/90, ISO 160.

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

What a wonderfully intimate little flower. I really like the composition with the stem of the flower coming in from the LRC. Also like how the background is just blurred enough but I can still get a sense of the environment. The detail in the small purple flower is great and I love how the pistil orange color is barley peaking over the edge. Very nice capture Shirley.

1 Like

Shirley the name of the flower is tradescanzia. The electrical violet of the flower is splendid and you have well captured it. The composition is original with the elements all in the opposite corners.

1 Like

What lovely, deep colors. And the DOF of the background is perfect. My first impression was that the two flower bud groups were having a conversation. In light of that impression, my eyes want the group in the ULC to be in focus. I suspect that wasn’t possible considering you were stopped down pretty well. It’s beautiful no matter what, though.

1 Like

Shirley: What Gigi said. Nicely composed and captured. I like your POF/DOF choice and if anything perhaps a bit less DOF that would render the BG and the flower group in the ULC a bit more OOF would work well. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

I like the diagonal thrust of the composition, Shirley, and the clear emphasis of the fg flower and buds in the LRC. As Bill has said just a touch more oof would also be good but I like this as is.

1 Like