Virginia Bluebells

I found this spray of mostly pink, Virginia Bluebells yesterday as the early spring ephemerals are blooming along the Potomac River. This group was interesting because of their color and they were pointing in many directions, rather than hanging down as a group, which is more typical. (R5, 180mm macro, 1/100 s, f/10, iso 800, tripod, 15 shot stack)

2 Likes

A pristine cluster for sure. The range of color and how it shades from one side to the other is really beautiful and very appealing. Good depth and focus although I do wish for a scosh more room at the bottom. I wish these grew up here, but it’s too harsh.

Nicely seen and great work on the focus stack, Mark. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great shot, Mark. How in the heck did you get bluebells to stay still enough for 15 exposures? I agree with @Kris_Smith about a little more at the bottom.

Very interesting colour variations, Mark. I also love the smooth, blurred green background along top and sides - and I agree about what’s been said of the bottom.

Mike, my R5 has focus stacking built in (it only takes a series, doesn’t blend them, which would take quite a while). It takes the stack series very quickly (capable of up to 20 frames/sec), so it’s mostly about waiting for the flower to stop moving very much. With built in stacking, the camera knows the lens and the aperture so it can adjust the amount of focus change to get it right…makes life much easier and stacks more reliable.

Gorgeous find, lovely colors and tonalities, well rendered, with perfect DOF!