Virginia Ctenuchid Moth

Found this frantically feeding on the wild parsnip flowers. Hard to compose as the moth kept moving. I made sure not to touch wild parsnip, as it can cause severe rash, worse than that of poison ivy.

What technical feedback would you like if any? any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII + 180/3.5 + Tripod
f/11, 1/60, ISO 640
Canon DPP4 raw converter, PSCC. a small crop to left and top.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Oh, he is beautiful, Ravi. Great color and details in him, with a nice smooth background, making him stand out nicely.

I didn’t know that parsnip blossoms can cause a severe rash. Good to know.

Hi Ravi, I like the detail you captured in the head, antennae, and near wing. I also like the parsnip being a platform for the bug without being distracting. I could see having a little more room on the right and less on the left but as you say these guys are hard to capture to begin with. Well done.

Ravi, this is an excellent look at both the moth and the flowers. I’m thoroughly enjoying the iridescent colors and (of course, for a moth) the complexity of it’s antennae.

I can’t pronounce his name but it’s a beautiful shot with nice color separation and good detail throughout. I didn’t know that about wild parsnip. I learned something new and got to view a terrific photo in the process!

Thanks Shirley, Allen, Mark and Terry about your kind comments. I just wanted to write more information about wild parsnip, as it has become very invasive in the midwest, especially Wisconsin. They line every road side bushes, local parks are infested with them. I have stopped going to a couple of parks to avoid contact with them. The juice of the plant (mostly oils) when it lands on the skin and the sunlight falls on it, there is a photo-phyto reactions that causes severe, itchy rash with blisters, may last for weeks. They are considered worse than the rash caused by poison ivy. I usually wear full sleeved shirts even in hot weather when photographing flowers to avoid getting rash when accidentally brushing against these.

1 Like

Thanks Ravi. Your comments sparked me to do some research on the plant here in Oklahoma, and it appears we have a problem with it, too. Yet another invasive plant we have introduced to our shores. That’s unfortunate because we have a similar native plant, also of the parsnip family called Golden Alexander, which looks much like it. Golden Alexander is a very beneficial plant to short-tongued insects, and is the host plant for the Black Swallowtail butterfly caterpillar.

Ravi: I’m a little late to this party but this is a great capture. I love the antennae on moths and these are especially attractive. Good effort on your part well rewarded. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Fantastic capture Ravi, the color is amazing and the sharpness dead on.