(W-repost) Crossing the river Ramganga

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This male tiger decided to cross the river, when sun was touching the horizon at my back. I happened to take more than 100 pictures of river crossing and only two had tiger looking at me, out of which one was blurred.

Specific Feedback

It was taken back in the year 2009 pushing all the limits of the camera to the max.
I recently decided to process this image again, just to check if technology or my processing has improved?? I’m not sure, what improved and how much improved but i was impressed with the output.

Technical Details

Canon 50D; 500 mm f 4.5 lens; ISO 800; 1/200 sec. at f 4.5

2 Likes

What an amazing moment in time here, J. A stunning image showcasing this singular male tiger during a river crossing. … :+1:
The only change for another look would be to clone out the submerged tree limbs. Just a thought to see how it might impact the immediate reaction… :thinking:

1 Like

What a magnificent creature, and image, Jagdeep! The background really adds a lot to this. It would be very interesting if you could speculate a bit on how the processing might have improved this shot (if it did!) - but after such a long time this may not be possible. Bravo!

1 Like

Other than a CCW rotation to make it level and maybe cloning the big branch to the right, this is unbeatable. That cat is definitely making his presence known. I can only imagine what it’s like to be near them and have them see you. OMG. What a stare. I’m so happy you live where these magnificent beasts still have a slim chance.

1 Like

When the image was taken in 2009, an ISO of 800 was too noisy, the noise reductions programmes today like Topaz are too good. Today it is possible to manipulate the lumination and saturation of individual colors, either it was not possible then or I was not aware not of it. Sharpening programmes were also not that great. The skill set on my part was also not so good.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of cloning out the distractions, but tried this time to see the results and I’m surprised !

3 Likes

J…for me this immediately removes any eye wander to those submerged tree branches…Excellent… :+1: :+1:

1 Like

This a beautiful photograph and great reminder not to delete photos that tell a great story like this! (and I agree with clinging out the submerged branches, it really adds to the image without having to crop them out). The colours are wonderful too!

1 Like

J – Stunning, spectacular, superb image. I wasn’t bothered by the tree limb, but I agree that its removal elevates the image marvelously. Congratulations on this beautiful photo – and on being able to witness the wild tiger!

1 Like

I think my wife bought a print of this from you when you first posted it, Jagdeep. I must say that this is an improvement. Your tiger really pops in this one and the background seems to work a bit better. I agree that removing the branch improved the image even more. A beautiful image.

1 Like

Hi @Dennis_Plank !
Yes, I remember someone buying this print, oh she was your wife! Suddenly, I’m feeling so connected. :slightly_smiling_face:

I love this revised image. What a magnificent creature! So glad you captured this moment. Only thing i would suggest is a vignette to focus on the tiger. But, i love vignettes, some peple don’t. Maybe blur the vignette/background a bit to emphasize the subject too.

1 Like