Wading Snowy

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was at a favorite wildlife refuge a couple of days ago and snagged this snowy egret from my car window. The original was black, white, and blue water. Its nifty yellow legs were underwater so I took a look at it as a B&W and like it. I cloned out a few little things floating on the water surface. I think its reflection is definitely part of the show.

Specific Feedback

Cropping okay?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, hand held, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 750mm. ISO 800, cropped to 3416 x 2690, converted to B&W

Great idea to convert to B&W, especially as the original suggests it. Well done on the exposure, the crop works for me. Cheers, Hans
p.s. I notice something above the head (between the bill and the eye), might be worth trying to remove that?

I like the black and white conversion. The whites look good, though is the gray on the tail feathers supposed to be there? I like the water ripples.

Yes. I took a couple of shots of it walking and that gray patch is in both of them. A bit of a mystery, though, on an otherwise all-white bird.

I love the black and white treatment, Dave. Have you tried flipping this horizontally? For some reason, I’m thinking it might work even better.

Hey, that could work. Left to right is the way we read, write… I even eat corn-on-the-cob that way.

Hi Dave
This serenely works as a B&W photograph. The low angle and reflection are a big plus.
Peter

Really Nice !!! Works perfect in Black and White !!!

Nice details on the bird and the B&W gives a unique view of this species. Well done.