Snowy in the Marsh

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What is your first thought?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Snowy egret in late day sun.

Technical Details

Nikon Z9 / 400/1.4(540mm)
1/200 f13 iso 500

Specific Feedback

Overall impressions on aesthetic quality.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Beautiful evening light and a lovely image of the Snowy Egret, Kelly. I suspect the colors in the background are the result of the evening light and are pretty accurate, but the saturation in the blues and brightness of some of the reeds do tend to make the background try to dominate the bird . I think a slight desaturation of the background and perhaps a little less brightness back there would make the egret dominate the image a little better.

1 Like

You have an elegant bird in a nice pose. The whites are handled well but the busy setting is a bit distracting, as is the intensity of the blues and greens. I like the OOF reeds and the green vegetation in the BG, but the bird’s immediate setting and near FG poses a problem for me. It could be good to lower the brightness a bit on the reeds on the left.

First thought: Nice catch of an elegant bird. Nice exposure on the whites.
Agree with lowering brightness on the reeds and perhaps desaturating other environmental elements.
Well done capture.