Walking Wounded (w/2 variations)

Var 1 w/a bit of dodging in the yellow moss and bark on the center tree -

Var 2 w/same and a crop as per Diane’s suggestion -

From my trip in November 2020 to photograph fall cypresses - this is a backwater in Caddo lake when the sun had barely crested the treeline and I paddled away into the fog to see what there was.

And there was this. I remember wanting brakes on the kayak so much. I had to maneuver fairly quickly before the light went and even more of the fog burned off. Used a medium telephoto to foreshorten the distance between the trees and the background. It’s one of my favorites from this morning.

Specific Feedback Requested

Thoughts, impressions, ideas for improvement.

Technical Details

Handheld in the rental 'yak

Lr for RAW work including fiddling with the white balance since this light is so hard for cameras to manage well. Lowered exposure some and then the usual curves adjustment. A little texture but reduced clarity and dehaze slightly. A crop to this ratio. Topaz Denoise manually adjusted Low Light so there was less sharpening and more noise reduction. Photoshop for some distraction removal and a reverse Clarity Action on the TK8 panel to further soften the farthest trees, but used a black mask and a white brush to paint it where I wanted it and that kept the sharpness on the closest trees. It’s on a Vivid Light layer which I changed from Soft Light and reduced opacity to 63%.

1 Like

Excellent. Quite eerie and haunting. No nits here.

1 Like

Very cool image. Spooky, but not overly dark as images like this sometimes are. I particularly like the effect on the two primary background trees.

1 Like

Nice image and nicely processed

1 Like

Really a beautiful photo in all respects. I love the central and balanced composition, I think it add a sense of stability to an already calm and tranquil scene.

1 Like

Just gorgeous, Kris.

1 Like

I think this is awesome! Gorgeous. Beautiful! Stunning!!! Not so much spooky as ethereal. The treatment of the BG trees is out of this world!

My only possible suggestion is to wonder about more crop from the bottom, maybe halfway to the closest tree base. I think it could work with the flatness of the bases of the trees – similar to the way, for some images, a relatively flat dark FG can be cropped to a dramatically small part of the image.

1 Like

These cypress trees are at the top of the list for me as photogenic trees, Kris. This image has a look of it’s own with the seemingly barren or off season growth and the fog or mist skirting the bottoms… :sunglasses:
Looks like a perfect cover for a Stephen King novel… :ghost:
The final post works best for me… :+1:

1 Like

Thanks @Harley_Goldman, @terryb, @linda_mellor, @Youssef_Ismail, @david.petersen, @Diane_Miller & @Paul_Breitkreuz - I’m glad the mood here isn’t a total downer since it wasn’t, only mysterious.

I put a couple variations in the OP for comparison. It’s one of those images that invites tinkering and if I don’t close it out of Photoshop, I’ll just noodle on it all day, lol.

I tried the crop suggestion, @Diane_Miller, and while I think it makes the shot bolder, it doesn’t give the trees a place to “walk” into. Sometimes when you’re amongst these trees in the fog, in a kayak, they seem to shift and change places with each other. You look away and look back and swear something is different, but you can’t put your finger on what. It’s eerie and happens all the time. I wanted to give a sense of that. Maybe it’s just me or you had to be there to feel it.

2 Likes

All of your variations are equally as engaging, Kris. Seems as though it is a question of what the viewer wants to see. Beautifully done.

1 Like

This is such a beautiful scene and composition, Kris. How fortunate to have come across this. I’m glad your curiosity brought you here. I love the softness and quiet and mystery.

1 Like

Really well seen. Third image works the best for me. The light and the mood are really quite special.

1 Like

Outstanding Kris! No nits or suggestions. Just kudos!

Lon

1 Like

Thanks @linda_mellor, @Mark_Muller, @David_Schoen & @Lon_Overacker -it’s really beautiful in a cypress lake. I have been severely tempted to do another fall workshop down there. This one was all paddling, but the guide was thinking about adding a motorized boat for a day just to be able to reach farther spots.

1 Like

I love the soft feel and moodiness. Well done from a yak. It may be a bit bright for me.

1 Like

Thanks @KenHebert - I’ve had a lot of practice in the ‘yak! At first I processed this darker, but the fog didn’t seem to have that glow from within that it has at sunrise, so I went back to a more realistic approach since it was fairly light out at the time. Fog is one of my favorite things!

1 Like

Just the phrase “cypress lake” is magical, beautiful, and evocative.

1 Like

Even though I love swamps, it sounds nicer to most people than cypress swamp. And really they are mostly lakes anyway, but we do love alliteration!

Kris, not much to say about this! It’s gorgeous in every way. Your Var.1 just sings.

Well done!

1 Like

I just stumbled on to this one, Kris. This is one of your best images. A portfolio candidate to be sure. Simply awesome and breathtaking.

1 Like