Wandering Glider Dragonfly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I went to the state park pond this morning where I normally photograph birds. The birds kept their distance but I saw many of these dragonflies by the water.

Specific Feedback

General composition, sharpness, etc

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, monopod
first image: ISO 2500, f6.3, 1/3200s
second image: ISO 800, f6.3, 1/3200s

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Great job on both. Still not in my portfolio and trying just makes me too crazy so not for me right now. Just love how they fold up those legs. Nice backgrounds and focus on both. I’d be happy with either!

Gorgeous, both!!! Fantastic detail and sharpness – color me about the shade of that BG!

Allen, that first df lined itself up very well for tip to tip sharpness. Of course, getting any df sharp in flight is quite an accomplishment. Well done.

Really nice catch! Perfect DOF for tack-sharpness, and pleasing colours.

These are pretty cool shots. Enough DOF to get the body in sharp focus. Have you thought about trying to get more DOF with smaller apertures? 1/3200 sec speed seems to freeze enough of the wingbeats for these type of photos. I like the BG in the second shot over the sky BG. Great series…Jim

Allen: I love both and I’m with Diane regarding my envy level. I also prefer the green BG with its subtle shades. Terrific captures. >=))>