Dragonfly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I saw this large dragonfly (ID unknown) laying eggs on a submerged log at our neighborhood lake boat dock this morning.

Specific Feedback

Any. I had my settings set for birds in flight and tried to adjust quickly for this dragon before she flew off. I initially underexposed the shots before raising the ISO.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 2000, f6.3, 1/1250s, hand held

1 Like

Wow, Allen, these are really nice. To capture one in flight is remarkable to me, but to get at least 3 great shots is just amazing. I can’t decide which one I like the best. I do like seeing it coming at you face on though, that is pretty cool. They are all great, and I can’t think of a thing to improve either of the shots.

1 Like

Allen, having photographed dragonflies in flight, I know how hard it is to get good images. You succeeded three times in the same time span. Congratulations! I like the first photo because of the action you captured. However, the second photo is impressive. Not only did you grab the dragonfly head-on, but you also managed to have its wings well-defined. This is a great set of photos. Well done!

1 Like

I like no 2 the most, especially the eyes - and the square crop. My first thought was - wow it’s going to land on the alligator!

1 Like

Allen: All three are terrific shots but #3 hands down for me because of the reflection of the DF in the water. I might crop that one from the right 25-30% to give the subjects even more weight in the frame. Top notch shots. >=))>

2 Likes

WOW!! SOOO cool!! The head-on is wonderful, but all are so good – don’t make me choose!

1 Like