Swift Setwing Dragonfly + repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Seen this morning at a local park.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 300 f4L IS, 1.4x extender II, monopod
ISO 2500, f16, 1/200s

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop w/NIK Viveza

1 Like

Gorgeous!! I love the way the pose fills the frame, and you have eye-catching detail with very good DOF. You have such interesting dragonflies there!

1 Like

Hi Allen,
that looks really great. I love the fine details in the dragonfly.

I would darken the perch a bit as it distracts slightly from the main subject. And there seem to be a few blown-out spots on the lower left of the perch:

I am a little envious of your beautiful dragonflies. I have not been able to find any in our area so far.
Well done!

1 Like

Allen, this is a very nice image of this DF. I don’t get to the ponds around here, so not sure if we have any of these. We have about 4 kinds around our yard each year, and I’m thrilled to have them. I really like what @Jens_Ober did with this image. I would have been pleased to call your shot mine that you posted, but didn’t realize how much darkening the perch would improve the shot! That BG really makes him and the perch stand out, and it is a wonderful composition with wonderful details in him. Nice.

1 Like

Thanks for the rework Jens. Looks good.
Got me to thinking I may want a little brighter version overall with the branch darker than what I had originally. I came up with this:

2 Likes

Allen: Wonderful capture and your rework makes it even better. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

Hi Allen,
your rework looks great. Well done!

1 Like

Oh yes, Allen, I like your repost very much. Nice improvement on an already nice shot.

1 Like

Even better!!

1 Like

Great work @Allen_Sparks - love the angle, colors - agree with making the perch less distracting as well as bringing out the exposure in the subject!

1 Like