Swift Setwing Dragonfly with wings forward

Took this back this past summer at a local park. I rarely get to see one so was happy to come across this one.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the wings forward position and glad the wings are clear so the face can still be seen.

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 300 f4L IS, 1.4x extender III, monopod
ISO 400, f16, 1/160s

1 Like

Hi Allen,

I think dragonflies are my favorite, there’s just something about the way they perch on twigs with two legs hooked around the top.
Then there’s the two sets of wings with the slender abdomen and they always appear to be smiling, the smile may be more of a “Fake Grin” though! :smiley:

My daughter developed two smiles when she was growing up, one smile was genuine while the other smile for specifically for use in photographs and it was more of a fake grin like a dragonfly, as soon as a camera was turned on, she turned on that fake photo smile.

Dragonflies are just cool looking.

Very good looking image here, Allen :slight_smile:
f16 worked out very well and the clear wings do work in your favor here.
The forward swept wings seem to form a sort of protective barrier around its head and thorax.

Nothing to suggest for improvement.

1 Like

Allen, this is a fine view of the dragonfly, showing very good details. I like the color contrast between the turquoise in the body and the green background.

1 Like

Allen, I love dragonflies too. You nailed this one. The details are great in the DF, and that smooth green BG just makes him pop. I also love the pose he gave you. I can’t think of anything that would improve the shot. Well done.

1 Like

Totally agree you nailed this one. I can’t wait for them to come back this year. Should be around Memorial day - that’s usually when we get our first swarm of them coming up and out of the river for their final metamorphosis!

1 Like

Allen: Great capture and excellent DOF and plane of focus management. Nice find and a really excellent capture. >=))>

Allen …fine detail throughout. Love the color scheme across the frame

Balan Vinod