Blue Dasher 2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another Blue Dasher. They are the most common dragonflies out right now in my neck of the woods.

Specific Feedback

Perch is rather large on top. Too much?
Keep or remove the spider webs?

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 300mm f4L IS, 1.4x extender II, monopod
ISO 2000, f16, 1/500s

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

Wonderful with perfect detail!! The perch is what it is, not much that looks like you could change it, and I think it’s quite interesting. The webs are so natural – I might remove the largest one on the left but no big deal.

I see what you meant about my recent Blue Dasher – you have some lovely gold color in the wings and I’ve never seen that. Different variants, I assume.

The colors are so great in this species - powdery blue, electric green and a dash of saffron and yellow. Interesting how dragonflies differ in how their position their wings while resting. Great that your angle lets us see those marvelous eyes. I’ve had trouble with that when I’m in the kayak and not as mobile as on foot. What a catch!

Allen: What a great looking DF and a marvelous perch. The BG also brings out the colors in the critter so well. I vote to keep the webs. Top notch shot. >=))>

Allen, another nice DF shot. What is not to love about this one as well. I like the spider webs, they don’t distract, and I think that add a sense of his environment. That BG really makes him stand out nicely. I haven’t had a chance to point my lens at a DF yet this year. Hoping to soon. I really like photographing these guys. They are fun subjects.