Watching the Sun Set - ReCrop/Edits

Second Edit/ReCropped

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken late in the day at Point Reyes National Seashore in Northern California. Seemed like a perfect perch to enjoy the sunset.

Specific Feedback

I’m not sure about framing with the OOF driftwood logs. Any comments and suggested improvements are appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon Rebel XT, f5.6, 1/320s, iso 400, 100-400 lens at 400 mm. Ran through Topaz Denoise.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Ed - sweet quail , great light, and a very interesting perch.
The logs/trees on the top and right don`t inspire me, and actually detract, imo, and might be better left off.
The quail and some of that neat wood perch is all that’s needed, I think.
This looks as if it’s a big crop, as there is quite a bit of noise in the large version.
Nice catch!

Thank you @SandyR-B. This is an old file from years ago and I didn’t even keep the original RAW file. I ran it through Topaz Denoise to see if I could get more life out of it. Thanks for letting me know about the noise issue.

Super quail capture Ed. I love the way these quail get up and call out there in Point Reyes, creating great opportunities for us shooters. I like the idea of framing with the wood but in this one I’d prefer a tighter crop on the bird and rugged perch, which has almost as much great color and detail as the bird.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks @james7 and again Sandy. This was taken with an old camera and I wasn’t sure if it would hold up to a smaller crop. I will try it.