Watchman Sunrise

I was searching for a different take for a sunset of the Watchman one day doing some scouting along the river. On the way back from the river I came across this and thought I could use this for a sunrise the next morning. It is a simple comp in some respects. I passed it by and came back because of the way the tree framed the mountain. So the next morning I was lucky in that I had some color in the sky. But unfortunately I had 20 -25 mph winds and had to bump up the shutter speed to 1/100th of a second with a higher ISO. Thank goodness for those new sensors. This is a 3 exposure manual blend because of the 25 mph winds and the early morning light.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Greg, I think you’ve found and photographed a bit different view of The Watchman. Very nice indeed… :sunglasses:

Greg,

Indeed a new and different perspective on this somewhat famous peak. Great job using and positioning the tree beneath the rock - although that aspect doesn’t jump out at me right away, but is an added bonus after exploring the image.

I really like both the beautiful sky (colors, clouds) AND the sage (or is that rabbit brush?) Here in lies the dilemma though; it’s almost now an either or… which is more important, the sunrise sky? or the foreground? I think you’ve captured both quite nicely actually, but if anything I would drop down on the sky a bit. For me anyway, with vertical formats, I prefer something closer to the 4:5 ratio… but that’s just me.

Lon

Thats a very pretty image love the textures of the brush and the position of the tree. The sky colour is excellent too but I do tend to agree with Lons thoughts on verticals in the 3:2 ratio and as a consequence I do think a slight trim of the sky is a worthwhile idea. You could actually lose a fraction off the bottom too without doing any harm to your composition.

Greg, kudos on not shooting the Watchman from the “Bridge of the Un-Imaginative” (as I like to call it), and instead wandering around to find a different view. On my trips to Zion, I have had some success shooting the Watchman at sunset from the same general area this image appears to be from. I love the sense of depth created by the rabbitbrush leading to the tree, leading to the Watchman. The hint of light hitting the top of the Watchman is marvelous too. I agree with @Ian_Cameron suggestion to crop some from both the top and the bottom of the image. If the sky was filled with colorful clouds, a 3:2 vertical might have worked, but with what you had here, I think a 5:7 makes more sense.

Hi Greg,

This comp works for me and I like the processing of colours in your image.

The top of the watch man seems really dark, almost black on a phone and much darker than the rock face just below. It looks like a reverse halo. Could this be a masking issue from your exposure blend?

Thanks @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Lon_Overacker, @Ian_Cameron, @Ed_McGuirk, @Nathan_Klein for all the input. I whole heartily agree on taking out some of the sky and lower part of the image. I think it helps refocus on the subject. Thanks Nathan for pointing out the peak right side being to dark. That right side is suppose to be a little darker because the top starts to “curl around” . So there should be a little shade there but not like that. I think when I was trying to enhance the alpine glow I didn’t drag by brush over far enough. So hopefully this will look better. Thanks again and Happy New Year!