Water+Light=Magic

Another abstraction provided by a few ripples of water and a slower shutter speed. I’ve learned that at times like these, I need to brace myself or even hold on to something solid when looking through the eyepiece! These kinds of images are simply not easy to see with the eye alone but now that I know where to look, much of the time I can have good success with my cameras.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all

Technical Details

Pentax K-7, 1/25, f/4.5, 200mm, ISO200 with minor adjustments to tone curves

2 Likes

Wonderful water abstract John! Your image has a nice energy to it. Almost like vibration on the surface of the water. I like the patterns including the splashes of blue.

I only have a few minor issues. There is a small sliver in the lower right corner that could be cloned out easily. The yellowish color of the grass under the patterns could probably be pushed towards more green using a curves or color balance adjustment. Thanks for sharing this wonderful image!

Def to the LRC—Thanks. The “grass” is actually not grass but reflections of green/yellow trees above the water. Glad you enjoyed the image.

This is super cool… my only wish was that the blue things were on the left side also… but I’m not sure it makes the image worse that they are not since it provides some tension as presented. Nice one!

This is very cool and I love your title. Water + Light does = Magic! That dark blob in the ULC catches my eye - perhaps dodging it a bit? I could see cropping a bit from the top (4x5-ish) because the most interest is towards the bottom, especially the yellow stripe. I would bring out the yellow stripe even more. I’m really liking all your water shots.

Wonderful creation. I find those squiggly lines disturbing, unsettling. I mean that in a good way because this one does have emotional impact. I also like the blue blobs mixed in with all that yellow. I might remove the two large blobs in the lower right corner (particularly the upper one) and see how the remaining blobs work out.

John, this works for me on all levels. I love the blue blobs as accents. Very cool and well seen.

John,

These are so fun! Enjoying the mix colors, including the blue, and all the wild pattersn.

Only suggestion from me would be to agree with the comment on the darker shape in the ULC. You might consider cropping a bit off the top - but given the abstract nature of these, it really is just an alternate and not really an improvement, maybe… :slight_smile:

The hardest part with these water reflection abstracts - is finding them! But once you come across a source, it’s like a kid in a candy store if I can steal and old cliche.

Lon

I’m loving your abstracts John, and this is my favorite so far. I love the colors and shapes and randomness of it. Well done!

Thanks, Steve. My version of LSD at my age is looking through the lens at things like this!