Water Lily in Rain Shower

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was pouring down rain this particular morning at Longwood Gardens and I was glad that I remembered to bring the umbrella as it definitely was needed. It was a bit cumbersome setting up the tripod while holding the umbrella, but better than getting soaking wet. I sure do wish someone would make a clamp for an umbrella that could be attached to a tripod leg.

Specific Feedback

I am relatively pleased with the end result, but if you notice anything please feel free to let me know.

Technical Details

Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 200mm, f 16 @ 1/80 se, ISO 400, CPL, cable release & tripod.

1 Like

You need one of those umbrella hat things! :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, good on you for sticking it out. I don’t think I’ve ever seen water lilies this color IRL, so it makes me wonder if the red channel isn’t just a tiny bit blown here. There is little detail and the structure seems overwhelmed by the color - especially in relation to the light and the water and pads behind. I wasn’t there (obviously) but it does make me wonder.

I like the composition and positioning of the flower in relation to the environment. The agitation on the pond surface by the rain is a nice touch!

1 Like

Ed, this is a great shot of this lovely lily. I can guess (from experience) at how many shots it took to get that droplet rebound in the right place, :grin: The sharpness of the lily looks great. My solution is a “rain jacket” for my camera & lens and a second set of rain gear for myself. That makes set up almost a quick as under dry conditions.

Hi Ed,
that is a beautiful Lily. The color is so vibrant. I love it.
And you nailed your shutter speed. Well done.

In fact, there is something similar. You can find some kind of umbrella holder in golf accessories.
Someone reported that he mounted such a device on his tripod to take pictures in the pouring rain.
I can’t remember where I read or heard that, maybe it was Nick Page.

This is sweet, Ed. No critiques from me. Nice vivid color captured just as it was . DOF is perfect with the sharp subject and OOF BG. I like the erupting rain drop captured to the left of the stem entering the water. Adds just the right bit of extra visual interest. Nicely done.