Water Lily in the Rain

This image was captured at Longwood Gardens in June of 2020 during a rainstorm. We had timed our visit for the rain hoping to come away with something a little different. Unfortunately this was the only one that worked as I had some focusing issues with the 80-200. Hopefully I will get to try a redo next month.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 200mm, f 16 @ 1/80 sec, ISO 400, cable release & tripod.

1 Like

I really like this one, Ed. The composition is perfect and the water looks like ice surrounding the lily pads. The flower itself though looks oversaturated - as if the red channel is screaming for help. That could be my monitor, but I can’t see much detail in the petals other than the water drops. The way the somber colors of the background lift the flower is pretty terrific.

Hopefully your lens issue got sorted out and you can use it again.

Ed, this looks very good. In shots like this, it’s always a treat (and a challenge) to get a water rebound like you have in the lower left. The flower is nicely dramatic, with it’s dark color against the darker water. I see water drops and details in the petals. The overall darkness provides an additional feeling of being in heavy rain. (Do you have “raingear” for you camera?..I’ve used a large plastic bag with a rubber band for camera protection.)

Striking color, wonderful textures, like the composition. Very unique and beautiful!

Thanks so much @Kris_Smith , @Mark_Seaver and @J_Fritz_Rumpf for taking a moment to leave your thoughts as they are always appreciated. Glad you folks enjoyed the image.
@Kris_Smith : I actually desaturated the reds a little if you can believe that. :grinning: I usually underexposure when I have reds in a scene as Nikons are notorious for over exposing the reds even though the other channels look fine. I will play with a bit more and see what I can come up with.
@Mark_Seaver : No raingear per se, but on this occasion I used an umbrella. I have used the plastic bag before as well as a piece of goretex that I drape around the camera. I have searched the internet to no avail for some kind of clamp that would hold an umbrella while being attached to the tripod.