Water World

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

With this week’s challenge in mind, I made some pictures this last weekend with the intent that at least some would be blended into…something. This started with the burned tree reflections in the lake; a slight breeze and light rain made for interesting textures. Along the creek, I tried some ICM, with what I thought were so-so results. The bottom half of one, however, made for a nice base for the trees. The sky texture is from another time and place.

Specific Feedback

Any comments/critique welcome.

Technical Details

Here’s the PS layer stack, if anyone’s interested.

2 Likes

This definitely feels more like a painting than a photograph, and in a good way! The overall image has a soft, painterly texture. The inverted reflection in the top half subverts my expectations and makes the image very interesting. Really well done.

This is amazing! I can’t quit exploring it. The elements are mysterious – obviously fantasy and they fit together in a fantastic way. There are hints of reality but it is from a dream. Very well done!!!

I am 100% in agreement with the above two comments. I really enjoy looking at this image! I think my mind is at first trying to make it into a simple stream with trees and sky in the background. However, I see the ripples and the texture of the stream and my mind wanders. I feel like I need a whole new set of words to describe this type of scene. It certainly looks painterly, but there are other elements that make it both interesting and complex. Well done!

Thanks, @WillR, @Diane_Miller, and @Willemd. I’m glad you like the painterly feel of this.

That is exactly the reaction I was looking for!

1 Like

Very creative image, Bonnie. Yes, most definitely has a “dreamy” quality. Thank you for sharing your layer stacking technique, as it helps me to see how you were planning. Great idea, capture and processing.

Thanks, @linda_mellor. Although I was thinking about images that could be combined, I don’t know how much “planning” went into this. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m never quite sure how things will work out.

1 Like

For me, that part of the fun/adventure. . … . Just waiting to see what will strike me on any particular day. Enjoy the ride.

1 Like

Bonnie, this is amazing. I’d say it blended into something wonderful. It does feel like another world…a softer, gentler world. Thank you for sharing your process. I hope to someday give this a try. You are an inspiration.

Thanks, @Chris_Baird!

Bonnie, this is very intriguing. The change from tree reflections to moving water is very striking and, to no surprise, strongly grabs the viewer’s attention. The blending between the two fits well.