Waterfall Dream

This was my first waterfall outing with waders! I loved the compositional freedom of being able to photograph from the middle of the stream.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m fairly new to waterfall photography after moving to Oregon earlier this year. Normally I prefer a higher-contrast look, but with this image, I wanted to go for more of a fairy-tale feel. I’m interested in any and all feedback!

Technical Details

Exposure blend of 2 images.

Julia!

Welcome to NPN! Glad to see you over here in this wonderful community!

You came into the critique group rocking it!!! For me, this is about as good as it gets with a waterfall image from this area. The composition works with nice leading lines to the waterfall…and NO clipped highlights in the water :clap: :clap:
Your greens aren’t oversaturated, your shadows are in check, the contrast is just right. And no color cast! This image has everything going for it! The only suggestion I would give is there is a is part of a tree branch in the top right hand corner that I would clone out.

Nice work!

DT

Thank you so much, David! I really appreciate your feedback.

Julia

1 Like

Hey Julia, don’t I know you from WCM? Nice to see you here, too. Super waterfall shot and yeah, being able to get out into the flow just changes everything about water and waterfall photography. Great job and hope you hang out more and join in our various conversations and critiques.

1 Like

Julia, welcome to NPN and to Oregon. I live in Portland. Really awesome image of the waterfall. I think low contrast gives it that misty, fairy tale feel you describe. Well done. Looking forward to seeing more of your work and contributions here.

Kris, great to see you here, and thanks for the welcome! I look forward to being part of this community and learning from all the critiques.

Hi Julia and welcome to NPN! I love this image and it’s almost dreamlike feel - fantastic atmosphere! Really well done and you should be very happy with this!
I need to get some waders too. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much, David! I’m in Portland as well. Excited to have joined this community - thanks for the welcome!

Thank you so much, Tom! Really appreciate your feedback.

Welcome to NPN, Julia. I think you nailed this image. The water is white with no blue tones, the leading lines from the bottom of the frame is terrific, the colors look real and you’ve achieved your goal of making this look atmospheric and not too contrasty. Well done. Hope you become a regular here. Looking to forward to seeing more of your work.

1 Like

Thank you so much, @David_Haynes! Really appreciate it. I look forward to being part of this community.

1 Like