Watering Day

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Oddly enough I shot this for the very description of this challenge: creating a layered effect. It was a watering day but primarily to adjust the direction of some of my sprinkler heads. The move on this one created such a lovely softness, I had to go get my camera and make the shot.
See if you can find the spider hiding under a leaf.

Specific Feedback

It was early evening and slightly overcast which prevented sharp contrasts in color. This worked to the advantage of creating soft layering but while I did brighten the greens in parts of the leaves, I would like some ideas as to how I could keep the softness and fine tonal layering but still brighten the overall flower colors. I tried working with selective colors but it looked too artificial.

Technical Details

Untitled-1

Oh I like this very much. It’s so refreshing and rejuvenating - the softness the mist adds is really effective at conveying that. It almost looks like a natural shower, except that it’s mist. Effective use of layers - from the front to the back, each section is doing its own thing and together I think it works well to show garden life. I think I found our 8-legged friend.

You could work with color or luminosity masks and paint the effect in where you want it using a black mask over the whole effect. That’s what I do when things are tough to get in one operation.

1 Like