Watershed Moment

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is another shot I got recently of a bathing flock of Canadas while field testing the new Z9 firmware 4.10 firmware update which brags that in the “bird” setting it will effectively lock onto the eye and hold it. This was a watershed moment as this guy was almost completely covered in water. 4.1 is noticeably better at grabbing and holding eyeballs.

Specific Feedback

Is the cropping about right?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, 1/3200th, hand held, 750mm, f 8.0, 750mm ISO 4000, Photo AI, cropped to 4020 x 2848

1 Like

Very neat! The sheeting action is in a nice stage - breaking up, but still sort of cohesive in parts. I also like the little wake all around the bird. Good 3/4 view as well since straight on they look so awkward.

Good to hear on the firmware update. I could have used the new version of my G9 yesterday to track an eagle better…the software & hybrid PDAF in the MK2 is supposed to be far and away better than what I have now.

I hope that your firmware update will be as substantial as this one is with AF.

Sweet, Dave. There are a couple of firmware updates, I’ve been hoping Sony will do, but no luck so far. I love the water cascading off the head. Excellent timing.

Sometimes I am really thankful for having 20fps available. I blasted my way thru this dunk and managed this pose from it. Fortuitous.

I know what you mean about high frame rates. I got an eagle taking off the other day in a similar way - I was ready and the camera blasted them off while the focus was still decent. The new G9 will do it better, but sometimes having a lot of experience with a camera can be more beneficial than new tech.