Way too tame

The national wildlife refuge system is a great place to see animals in their natural habitat however many of those creatures have become habituated to the human presence. Such is the case with this Great Blue Heron at Nisqually Wildlife Refuge. It was adjacent to the man-made trail. As I photographed this Heron from about 30 feet away, I watched person after person walk within 2 feet of the bird and it failed to move. It was moving too much itself to be fixated on its next meal. Earlier in the day, a bald eagle on the boardwalk also sat still as people walked within 2 feet of it. While this is unusual, it concerns me that this lack of fear of humans could lead to unforeseen consequences. Yes, for the most part the wildlife refuge system is for the animals and not for photographers or birders or people out for a hike. Yes, the boardwalks and the irrigation canals keep humans a reasonable distance from the wildlife. The habituation of these animals and their proximity to human kind perhaps cannot be avoided in these areas however we can keep our distance if we wish.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Any pertinent technical details:

Iso-200, 500 mm F5 .6 PF, F10, 500th, D 500, handheld, Adobe camera raw 11.2, TK sharpening action at 5%, minimal processing, full frame, morning sun.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very good points, David, and a wonderful portrait. I love the dirty beak and the brilliant eye. In this case, I also like the tight framing.

I like the tight crop. I like your comments. I like the pose which is common but always reminds me of Rodin’s “The Thinker”. (A friend thinks they just look grumpy and not studious. Perhaps in this case he would be correct what with all the people invading its territory).

David, excellent portrait of this bedraggled fellow.
I agree 100% with your commentary, as well.
Sandy

I have a bit different reaction. We have habituated herons of several species, egrets of several species, both night herons, anhingas, ibises and even ospreys around our home in Florida. But none allow you to come so close. That, in combination with the heron’s failure to clean and polish its bill make me wonder if it’s ill. In my experience all of the “spearfishers” keep their beaks polished and sparkling. Almost maniacally so, as if they’re a point of pride.