WC # 888 Elakala Falls

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Would like your opinion on wether the shadows are too dark. I always incline toward a lot of black in my images for contrast but always welcome other thoughts. I probably captured enough dynamic range to open it up. Of course any other critiques are also sought,

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Michael,

This is quite beautiful. Aside from the main waterfall, I’m really loving the delicate nature of all the smaller cascades - seemingly seeping out of nowhere. I also like how the greens compliment each other top and bottom - or at least help frame the entire scene; including the boardwalk (would be a good promotional image for a trail/park guide…)

To your question about the dark shadows. My thought is that it all depends on how big those areas are and how important they are to the scene and/or story. I this image, the dark shadows on the right side, in between rocks, behind the veil of the water, etc. - I don’t care/mind if those are dark and lack detail; it’s not important to the story/image. However, the wall on the left occupies a good 20% of the overall frame and I think the eye naturally falls there - and would like to see a hint of detail there. But that’s me. I think because of the amount of space and that I suspect there is some interesting layering and geology going on there, I would like more detail. I’ll be curious to hear other’s thoughts as well.

Lon

1 Like

Real nice cascade to go with the mossy stacked rocks. I am of the same opinion as Lon on the big shadow area on the left. I like deep blacks as well, but if you could pull some detail out of that wall I think it would work well. I also might burn the brighter highlights on the bridge.

Man Michael, I just can’t compete with y’all on these falls images. Somewhere I have frames of Laurel Falls in GSMNP, but to my recollection they pale by comparison to what I’ve been seeing around here. The WC images I plan to post take a different tack.

That’s a pretty neat design for the bridge, and it looks well maintained. As viewed I really think the darker darks on right (river left) give it nice depth and mood, especially on those smaller ledges, so I’d leave those as is. And I love that lush green, really makes it pop and adds variety. To your question, about the only suggestion I would offer is it seems that on the far bank you could try bringing up some shadow detail to give some definition to the larger mass on that ledge, which I think would be more consistent with the exposure elsewhere. And one minor nit for me is that lighter triangular ledge at right edge grabs at my eye. Like your last, those delicate cascades and velocity look great for your choice of shutter speed. All in all very nice work.

Beautiful, Michael. I like the black. I think we often try to pull out too much detail in the shadows. Too me, it starts looking unnatural. There’s just enough here to pique my interest, particularly in that left hand side.

I have never gotten down to this vantage point so the next time we head down to Blackwater Falls SP we have to head to this spot along with that shot in the woods. Anyway as far as the image goes this is simply quite beautiful with the lush greens and those numerous cascades falling over the rock face. I would like to see just a touch more detail in those two darker areas on the left side, but it is certainly not a deal breaker for me. I also like the POV with the bridge. Beautifully done!

Michael: Beautiful scene superbly composed and captured. I’m with the group wanting a touch more detail in the left side shaded area. Still pretty darn good as is.>=))>

Michael, have shot this myself, I think you’ve done fine, especially with the shadows. I can see details, but they’re subtle, which seems just right. I do think the greens at the bottom are a bit too saturated