Weather Beaten

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I love looking at driftwood on beaches and found some really interesting stuff on Harris Beach in Oregon. I liked the myriad textures and the subdued color palette. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 24-105 f4 G @ 50mm
ISO 400, 1/80 @ f16

Hi Bill — you would love our porch where my husband has put found driftwood around the perimeter. Lots of it. Personally, I prefer it in nature because it’s tough to keep clean!

This image really tells a story of age and weathering. To me, the jewel is the center of the image (from bottom to top). I’m thinking that if you increase the contrast (masking!) of the area at the top

and slightly decrease the contrast of the surrounding areas on the left and right, that area would really pop out and keep the eye moving through it. Right now, I find that my eye doesn’t really know where to alight. Here is a rather poor sketch of what you might consider. I may have overdone the right side — I’d tone down the area a little closer to the center, the real hero of the image. Hope this is helpful.

1 Like

It’s lost in the smaller versions, but at full size I really enjoy the sand lodged in the wood. It’s a wonderful detail.

If you play with @Susanna_Euston’s idea, I’d love to see the result.