Weed

Nikon D3400 50mm ISO 100, aperture 1.8, exposure time 1/250 flash from behind subject on light box also a continuous light from above

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
any

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Good detail and texture as well as a very interesting subject. Your choice of dof shows off the layers or structure of the plant nicely. My only wish would be that there was more room around the plant so we could see it all. Hope to see more of your work.

Thanks Patricia, I am just learning about negative space, I do tend to crop in to close, I always heard for years " fill the frame " I don’t know different unless i’m told , this is a great site

I really like the glow you got from the lighting, Michael. I think I agree that a touch of room around the plant would be helpful in this case. Were you really shooting at f/1.8? or is that just the max rating of the lens? It seems like amazing depth of field for that aperture.

1.8 seems wrong to me also but that is what the file says … could it be wrong ? often I play with the settings so much I loose track, I probably took 75 shoots before I settled on this one, you would think I would be shooting with the smallest aperture especially with all that light, even with a ISO of 100 I don’t think that shot is possible at 1.8… i’m addicted to the continuous setting " is that bad ? "

“is that bad?” No it’s just your style. I use it for birds frequently, rarely for this kind of stuff, but there’s nothing wrong with it. Just more files to look through.

I don’t know about the f/1.8. I do know there are other options besides almost capturing the whole plant or creating negative space around a clipped image. There is also a macro approach whereby a small portion of the whole almost fills the frame, allowing the partial to suggest the whole. Study some of the photos posted by Bill Fach or Patricia Brundage, both of whom are masters of macro technique.

I misread the file, the setting was f/16 … oops. thanks Phil, will do … I can be a little slow sometimes but still smarter than the average bear :grinning: I think