Western Diamondback

I left the bottom larger to show my footprint. I stepped this close to him and didn’t notice him until he rattled. I was able to get pretty close to him ( about 3 ft) because I know snakes can only strike about 1/3 of their length and he was content to stay in his threatening position. Taken in Saguaro National Park.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D300, Nikkor 18-105 at 105, IS0 400, F10 @ 1/160

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Well that would certainly wake me up! Not sure he would have waited around for me to calm down enough to take the shot. You clearly have steady hands - this is a nice shot! Great detail in the head as well as the rest of him. Well done!

Ummmm… I think it’s more like 1/3 - 2/3 of their body length - but I wouldn’t have stayed around to speculate…
Very Nice image and great look at the head, “diamonds”, and rattle.
Sandy

Skip, excellent take on this bad boy. I had to comment with regard to getting so close to almost stepping on it. When out hunting in my teens walking up a very steep incline my two brothers in front of me used a hillside hole as a foot step. When I got to the same point I used it as a hand hold and touched a coiled diamond back inside the hole. That for me was way too close…:snake:

Great formation, looks like a kung-fu pose, pretty intimidating !
I like the fact that head and the rattle are at similar focus plane.

Nice pose, detail, and DOF. A lower angle if safe would put this over the top.

Very cool, Skip. I’m not so sure I’d want to stay within three feet regardless of knowledge. The pose is wonderful. Were you able to get any lower angles?