Western Diamond Rattle Snake

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Hiking carefully in Arizona.
Very hard to separate him from his background. That’s what makes them so dangerous. He gave us plenty of warning, Able to stay well out of his way.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Sony RX10 lV, 220mm, 1/250 sec/ ISO 160,f/8
All comments welcome.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Charlie, a fine example of this WDR. As kids we use to skirt around these bad boys all the time. Closest I came was literally face to face with one as a teen. Although his tongue was flicking testing the air he never rattled… :skull_and_crossbones:
I’d say as strong as the contrast in the lighting it is a fine image. You might try some of TK’s masks to adjust the highs and lows a bit. Maybe something to be obtained with those fine tools… :sunglasses:

Thanks. I have some ofTK but haven’t tried.
This might be a good time to try.

Charlie, I’d say it’s always good to experiment a little. You can always fall back to your original saved image if the changes are not to your personal liking… :+1:

Hi Charlie !

I really liked the pose and the coil of the snake and how you got the head and the tail in the same focal plane ! A lower POV would have resulted in the better seperation from the BG.
You may tone down the the brightness of the foreground.

Really an excellent capture! Great sharpness and detail in highlights and shadows. Agree with Jagdeep’s recommendations about burning down the foreground. I also wonder about using one of the lights masks to not only brighten the white scales, but WB correct them a bit more to true white rather than the cyan cast which, while accurate in the shade on a cloudless day, is a bit strong and detracts from how our eyes might see him. Lot of potential with this image, but I think there’s more available to you to bring him out a bit more from his surroundings, if that’s is of interest to you.

A very nice WDB. Yes, burn the FG and tweak down the cyan in the white scales that are in shadow are all that this one needs. Awesome shot…Jim

Thanks for the suggestions. i’ll work on it.