Western Meadowlark

Western Meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta)

Superior, AZ
Date: November 24, 2017
Equipment: Nikon D7200, AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR @ 410mm, bean bag from car window
Exposure: ISO 800, Aperture priority matrix meter, 1/1600th @ f/8
Raw, PS CC on Mac, 86% of full frame (cropped from left)

I was lucky to have this meadowlark at eye level even though I was in my car at the time; the ground was higher than the dirt track I was on when this bird revealed itself.

I was a regular poster in Avian at NPN from March of 2001 until January of 2018, when I drifted away for a number of reasons. I am still taking photos but not nearly as much Avian as before since my hips and knees no longer can manage the amount of walking I used to do. I can’t make any promises at the moment but I’ll try to post older shots such as this along with more recent work.

2 Likes

Glad to see you back posting. Excellent detail, nice pose, and nice complementary surroundings.

Welcome back, Rich. It will be great to have you around again, particularly for your incisive comments. A great many of the older NPN avian folks learned an awful lot from you.

This is an excellent image. I’m particularly fond of the head turn and the classic Meadowlark habitat. It’s so unusual to actually see a photograph of one in it’s primary habitat rather than perched up singing (mainly because they hide so well). I also like the nice display of the winter plumage.

1 Like

Nice to see an image of your hand again. Wonderful shot as well, the surrounding are typical Meadowlark and the pose with the head turn is priceless. Love it ! Cheers, Hans

Hi Richard, love the pose and habitat. Well done.