Wet, winter Japanese maple leaf

We have a Japanese Maple by the front walkway, that’s been fun to watch as its leaves slowly lost color and fell as winter continues. During a slow, gentle all day rain event, I went out to photograph the few remaining leaves. I finally found this single isolated leaf in an accessible spot, with only the forest floor as background. A 10 shot stack for depth-of-field, to get all of the leaf and the water drops nicely sharp. (5D3, 180mm macro, 1/80s, f/8, iso 800, tripod)

1 Like

Mark, I really am enjoying this image in every way. The BG compliments the leaf nicely. The lighting coming through the leaf (backlit) allows the colors and veins to show nicely in the leaf. The position of the limb coming into the frame is another bonus, but those drops with the refractions is icing on the cake. We have one of those maples in our yard too, so may have to keep an eye out for a pose like this next fall. I still need to learn to stack. You nailed this one!

Beautiful, Mark. Great portrait of a Japanese Maple leaf.

Wet fall leaves are such great subjects, especially one that has such a great background. The stacking looks terrific and that the water drops add great points of interest as well as making it about the weather, too.

I love dangling, dying/dead leaves! This is beautiful. The branch reflections in the water drop is a nice touch (well, both water drops are nice touches!).

Most people would just walk by this and not give it another thought. However, the photo has amazing details and the water drop is excellent. The story of the end of the life for the leaf with the water showing the future of new leaf to come. I love the color and the background

Mark: Well done observing this tree carefully and coming up with this scene and comp. Most excellent. >=))>

I have skimmed by this one several times without time to stop in – glad I finally did, as it’s so well done! All said above, just have to add another gold star – the droplets are fantastic!