What a Rush!

I just love being near the rivers and streams of these mountains. A few years ago, I bought some chest waders so I could closer to the rushing water…can’t explain why, but being in this water is definitely one of my happy places. This is Thunderhead Prong in GSMNP, early Fall image.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Interested in what people “feel” when viewing this…

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single Exposure: D810, 14-24 f/2.8 w/ WonderPana plrzr @18mm; 0.4sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@jim_mcgovern_photography

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Real pretty image, Jim. The creek looks great and does an excellent job pulling me through the scene to the warm light at the back. No suggestions here, looks good to me.

Very strong image, Jim. The composition is excellent and draws me to that glowing background. Processing looks very good. Great job managing the highlights in the water. No suggestions.

Wow, what an in-your-face composition Jim, I’m glad that you broke out the waders for this one. What I like best about this image are all of the triangle shapes in the rocks and water, that create a lot of visual impact. Nice work, no suggestions from me.

Jim,

Beautiful image and especially in showcasing the cascade and strength and presence of the river. Those waders really do increase your choices out there and I can see why being “in the water” is a happy place for you.

I do “feel” like I’m in the middle of the stream and so for sure you’ve succeeded in bringing the viewer right there.

Not a huge deal, but you could consider raising the shadows ever so slightly in some areas. Otherwise, quite beautiful as presented.

Lon

@Harley_Goldman, @Dave_Dillemuth, @Ed_McGuirk, @Lon_Overacker - thanks to you all for your comments and review!

This is outstanding, Jim. I love the low POV and the triangles that were created by wading into the creek. The lush greens of the moss covered rocks works well as does the lovely glow in the BG trees. My only suggestion; and I do not know if it is possible; would be to try and clone a little detail in the section of the water in the middle under the FG cascade. I am really enjoying this peaceful scene.

1 Like

Jim, this is really nice. It’s a very powerful composition well executed. You have good detail in the whitewater, great lines and curves, and nice early fall color.

My chest waders are one of my favorite pieces of photographic equipment. It’s great to get in the water.

1 Like