What? No eyes? Bad Photographer!

Sorry about that, but I loved this preening pose despite the complete lack of eye contact. I also really liked the curve of the perch, so I left the bird small in the frame to include it all.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I added some canvas to the bottom (and took some off elsewhere). Does it show?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Some burning and dodging to keep the focus on the bird. Does it work?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, hand held (I think I shot this through the porch screen, but I’m not sure-I did some shots that way, the moved out the door and got a few more). F/8, i/2500, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4212 x 2898 before resizing. Taken July 22nd at 6:28 pm.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Dennis, nice preening behavior and I like seeing the individual feathers of the wing. Nice placement of the bird in the frame and I like the curvy perch. Background works well for this image. Sure, eye contact would be nice but for a small in the frame behavioral image I’d say this is a keeper.

Nice behavioral capture, @Dennis_Plank. The perch and clean background make this image for me. Very well composed too.

Dennis, I agree with what Allen said, that it being a behavioral image the the lack of eye contact isn’t a game changer to me. Nice capture.

Superb detail and light with a great background and perch. Yeah, it would be nice to see the eyes but it is a behavioral image.