Breaking a few rules

I had a lot of Black-capped Chickadees yesterday as well as quite a few House Finches. the House Finches tend to sit on the feeder perches forcing the Chickadees to adopt other feeding strategies. This one actually hung around to dissect a sunflower seed instead of flying off with it. Even though the eyes aren’t showing and the bird is centered horizontally, I liked the final image.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 451 mm, gimabal head mounted to blind window, f/8, 1/1600, iso 800, fill flash at -2 2/3 EV, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image and feather enhancement with Topaz Detail. I added some canvas to the bottom during the crop to de-center the bird vertically. Taken at 9:29 yesterday morning under sunny skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

A different pose, but it works, showing the bird eating the seed. Nice angled perch and background. As usual, excellent detail in the bird.

I like this image because of the unique pose (and, of course, your usual great background, detail and comp), like it is still bowing after having just finished giving thanks for it’s meal. Or maybe it just couldn’t wait and started early. Very nice.

My first thought when I saw this image before enlarging it was, that this little guy was giving thanks for his meal. I love this shot, even if it broke a few rules. Very nice.

I feel the centered composition works well here especially with the diagonal branch, Dennis. You got a nice background and an unusual pose.