When I don't mind being outnumbered

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of my favorite things in a fall forest are these kinds of fern arrangements that catch all the leaves. They’re so amazing and I was lucky that I found this nearly perfect specimen. No leaves were touched, placed, moved or jostled in this image.

Specific Feedback

Overall composition and colors. Realistic, but not too restrained is the look I was going for.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for everything starting with a denoise AI action, wb adjustment, lowered exposure a bit and used the basic sliders for appropriate contrast. Added some texture & clarity as well as sharpening, but not a lot. Kicked up the vibrance some. Bumped the green saturation slightly and used transform to adjust some geometry.

1 Like

Beautifully done, Kris. Symmetry and colors are stunning. I get the feeling the spring and fall are competing for the spot light! Nicely seen.

This is lovely, Kris. I don’t know how you found such an incredibly symmetrical fern. Given it’s perfect symmetry, you might want to look at a square crop, but this looks fine as you’ve framed it.

Thanks @linda_mellor & @Dennis_Plank - I was pretty stunned to have found one so darn perfect, too. And I didn’t even have to hunt - it was right next to the trail. The universe does smile on me now and then. I considered a square crop, but it eliminated too many leaves so I didn’t.

1 Like