Away with the fairies

Do people have favorite ferns? If so, I bet this ranks high - Maidenhair fern is magical - it’s light and airy and moves on the slightest air currents. So when I saw the afternoon sun shining through them in the yard I went out to see what I could do. Wide open, fast shutter speed, breezy backlighting. It says fall to me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Part of my attempts to capture fall in different ways. Some speak only to me, but I’d like to hear what (if anything) this says to you.

Technical Details

Handheld

Wb and smoothing of that massive dynamic range in Lightroom - some sharpening and texture. A a little crop and a flip. Reduced luminosity of the orange channel, but raised it in the reds. Slight vignette.

Ferns always have something to say to me also Kristen. Living where I do and photographing where I do, it is just as well as ferns are thick, dominant, and everywhere. Among my favourite native ferns are Black Mamaku (a large tree fern), Heruheru (a feathery ground fern), Kiokio (palm-leaf fern), Mouku (hen and chicken fern) and the filmy ferns. A few years ago I had a bit of an obsession photographing them…but coffee gradually overcame that :wink:
I rarely see entire ferns dried off as is suggested in your photo (I think), however, as they are nearly always green here with a few dead older fronds.
Anyway, your photo does talk…to me it creates a significant feeling of weightlessness and joy. I can actually feel that and my heart rate responds. I may be odd (and my wife Elizabeth can probably attest to that) but I need to get an emotional reponse to a scene before I consider photographing it. While some of the resultant photos captured this way have little, if any, appeal to others is irrelevant to me. Your photo works for me. Cheers.

I should have known you’d have favorites, @Phil_G and I can only imagine the lush forest floor they must create. The closest I’ve come is some redwood groves and woods, but I have yet to really hit any temperate or tropical rainforests. Post your backlog if you want, I’d be curious to see. You can put them in critique or showcase.

I really enjoy this photo Kris with how the light fills the scene. The soft background really helps bring the focus very well. Well done.

Thanks @Dean_Salman - that’s what grabbed me when I looked out the window, how the light in the forest floor seemed to expand that small dimension. Glad you enjoyed it.