When the Moon Went Walkabout

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I’m curious to hear what, if any, emotions , thoughts, or associations this evokes in you.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This is an ME composited on the computer from two images of stone pillars overlooking water and greenery. I played around with different layers and blending modes until I achieved the effect I wanted.
What I see in the image is a whimsical, playful abstract reminding me of the way moonlight reflects in the woods, giving a sense of mystery to the world. Is that what you saw?

Technical Details

Screenshot of original images. Both were taken at f/4, 125 ISO, 1/2000 sec. Canon R6, 105 mm.

Specific Feedback

Asking for Aesthetic, Conceptual, and Emotional feedback

1 Like

First, I really like what you did here! Interestingly I see very different things depending on if I look at it smaller or open it in the Lightbox.

Despite the darkness, I see cheerfulness and I can see wonder. The colorful “shards” of light come through so beautifully - like reflections of light on a metal mobile in a dark room.

When looking at it smaller, I can see a child’s face mesmerised by the mysterious lights dancing in the dark, holding gently one of the broken orbs that reflect the light - where does it come from? Is there also a component of fear or threat, I wondered. But no, not for me.

And now as I’m writing this something else occurred to me! I am reminded of one of Yayoi Kusama’s installations I visited at the Guggenheim in Bilbao!

Wonderful image, Maddi!

1 Like

Thank you, Astrid! Yes, it never felt ominous to mee. And what a wonderful association with Kusama! I’m in good company :grin:

1 Like

I love this!

2 Likes

Madeleine, this is utterly mesmerizing and engaging! I love the colorful shards of light and shapes. I think the darkness surrounding the shards was a great compositional choice. For some reason, knights going into battle enters my mind. Perhaps it’s the swooping shapes paired with the pointed corners in some of the shards that remind me of such a fantastical scene.

Regardless, I find this to be a wonderful abstract image. Mystery of subject, form, color all come together to prompt more questions of the viewer. Well done!

1 Like

Thank you so much @Don_Peters and @Alfredo_Mora!

Yes, I can imagine that! At some point the shapes started reminding me of scimiters as well.

That’s making me blush! Many thanks, maestro! :smiling_face: :pray:

2 Likes