When Trees Dream #3 + Rework

REWORK - Thanks for all the suggestions:

ORIGINAL:

Another from Hayfork Creek in Trinity County. This scene was looking 90 degrees from the last one I posted. The processing was similar - brought up the shadows (a lot), increased saturation of the warm tones, warmed up the highlights, decreased clarity.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a73r, 24-105@105mm, f/11, 1/60s, ISO 400.

3 Likes

I like what I can see from the thumbnail, but for some reason, I can’t open the larger image.

@Michael_Lowe, I couldn’t either, right after I posted it. I’ll try uploading it again. Thanks.

It works now.

Hi Bonnie! This looks like an impressionist painting. A beautiful scene. I would consider decreasing the whites a bit as they slightly overpower the other areas of the scene.

I think that this reflection looks to much like what it’s reflecting. There is some distortion when you look closely but I would prefer more of it. A slower SS might have produced the results a bit better. Otherwise, the composition and colors look fine. You’ll be getting rain for about a week so there could be good light.

The slight water disturbance has imparted an impressionistic mood to these tree reflections, Bonnie. The image has an inviting upbeat feel to it. My only suggestion would be to bring down the high lights a little as my eye wants to get stuck there. You did a wonderful job of spacing the trees across the frame. Nicely done.

Wonderful!! I agree on the highlights, but that’s a small thing for a gorgeous and interesting image. I’m wondering about a subtle gradient burn from the bottom to give it more of a base?

Bonnie, this is my kind of image. A bit as a painter should make it.

I had the same reaction, try to balance the luminosity a bit better between top and bottom, even thought the image is high key overall. Whats weird is that in Photoshop I flipped this image vertically, and the top/bottom difference in luminosity is nowhere near apparent as it is in this orientation, it must be a visual perception thing.

This photo really made me stop and look twice. At first I thought you used ICM or applied a texture. Then, I realized that it was a reflection. I really love it.

Thank you, @Steve_Kennedy, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_Lowe, @Diane_Miller, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Ed_McGuirk, and @Chris_Baird for your thoughts.

I brought down the highlights in the original post, but obviously they’re still too bright. Fiddled with that some more. I hadn’t considered a gradient darkening the bottom; once I did that, it was a definite improvement.

Igor, you’re right, the reflection was a bit sharper than the previous ones in this series. I rather liked that aspect, but it doesn’t go so much with the others. So, as part of lowering the highlights, I did a reverse S curve to reduce the overall contrast. As far as the rain, it’s clouded over now, but the prediction is for showers, not a lot of rain. At least the light is more to my taste.

Your rework looks great!

1 Like

Bonnie, I stay with the first one, because although the second is maybe better in a technical way. I miss the life in it. The second one is just a sharp image imho.

1 Like