When Trees Dream #2 + Rework

REWORK (adjusted color in lower left, brightened it overall a bit):

ORIGINAL:

Another from the Merced River in Yosemite. Just contemplating reflections of the lovely fall colors of the black oaks in the gentle riffles of the river. For this one, I focused on the rocks at the bottom of the river and let the tree reflection go soft. A version with the tree reflection more in focus and the rocks blurry is just visually annoying.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m not sure I’m totally happy with the color in the lower left. It feels a bit too red, but when I adjust it to be more yellow the scene loses some interest. Any thoughts welcome.

Technical Details

a7r3, 105mm, f/4, 1/60s, ISO 400, probably had the CP on, hand held.

7 Likes

Hi Bonnie, I love dreamy abstracts, and this is just gorgeous! The colors in the LL don’t bother me, but if it bothers you, maybe clone them and put a few of the same colors on the top right? The colors overall are intriguing - yellows, oranges, blues and the grey of the tree. I wouldn’t change anything. Looking forward to seeing what others say.

Bonnie, your strong text says it all. Beautiful !!

1 Like

A lovely abstract autumn image. Very painterly. The red in the LL looks fine to me. Maybe you could add to of the red to the LR to give it a more balanced feed…

Gorgeous! And an interesting observation about the results of different focus points. I’ve been super busy lately and got way behind here, and only have a minute to scan thru some recent posts, but this one caught my eye. A quick thought about the LL – it does feel a bit different than the rest of the image, but maybe the difference isn’t in color but just in contrast? Easy to test.

Wow, I really like this. Not sure there’s anything I’d change. I love how faint the tree is, you can see it but it almost disappears once you fully focus on it. The textures and colors from the pebbles are beautiful too. Very cool abstract scene.

Lovely, Bonnie. I also love the very painterly quality of your image. The LLC really doesn’t bother me at all, hadn’t really noticed it until you mentioned it. I am very much enjoying this series of yours from the Merced River.

Bonnie, this is a lovely abstract with lots of fine pastel colors held together by the tree trunk. Having experimented with where to focus in shots like this, I understand how different the results are. The rocks break are good fun because its hard to tell what’s a rock and what’s a rippled reflection. The colors look fine.

Thank you, @robertakayne, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Chris_Baird, @Diane_Miller, @linda_mellor, and @Mark_Seaver for your appreciation.

Thanks for the ideas, I fiddled around with the color and contrast a bit more and I think the edited version works better.

Thanks, Eric. Yes, I wanted a faint tree, but still tree-like enough to know it’s a tree.

1 Like

Really lovely textures (the leaves in some areas almost feel like clouds haha) and very painterly scene. I think the rework is better because it feels more homogenous and perhaps the toned down look actually makes the textures feel even more like a painting which is great. Overall really nice!

1 Like

Lovely water reflection abstract image Bonnie! The reworked version looks great to my eyes. I don’t really have any new to add. Great job!

1 Like

Wonderful image, Bonnie. And the rework is a very significant improvement.

1 Like

Wow, that is just wonderful, Bonnie. The rework is great.

1 Like