When Trees Dream #2

Went for a drive on Trinity County back roads yesterday, and stopped along Hayfork Creek. The water surface was in shade, but the trees across the creek were in the sun, making for striking reflections. There were only very, very slight flow ripples when we arrived, but a light breeze came up, making for these more ripply reflections. I’ve found that it only takes the slightest breeze to change reflections. It pays to sit and watch for awhile, to see what transpires.

The “true” colors were much darker, but less saturated, but I wanted the dreamy look, so it’s much brighter than the initial file and the colors are more saturated.

REWORK:

ORIGINAL:

Specific Feedback Requested

Since I wanted the dreamy look, there aren’t many true blacks and the contrast looks rather low - is that annoying? Any other comments always welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a73r, 24-105@105mm, f/8, 1/100s, ISO 400.

Nature’s own artistic filter – well done! I like the lightening and subtle saturation. The low contrast fits the dreamy mood.

Bonnie,
To appreciate this image bigger is better IMO. The details and colors are quite subtle, but I think it works well. It reminds me of a water color painting (pun intended). One nit, the dark leaves in the ULC are grabbing my eye a bit.
Again, this a very creative on your part.

This does have an artistic quality about it. I thought that the square format was not optimal but when I tried changing it things started to fall apart. The left side was a surprisingly important component. I agree that the vagueness of the tree makes this image. It’s like an apparition.

Really well done. You got the dreamy look for sure. I would agree with Alan about the dark leaves ULC, as I noticed it prior to reading his comment, but very minor. This one works for me.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions, @Diane_Miller, @Alan_Kreyger, @Igor_Doncov, and @Harley_Goldman.

I will post a rework with your suggestions. I dodged the dark bits in the ULC, and the URC and other spots also, while I was at it. Igor, I did try various crops, but it was my original intent to make the dark tree +/- centered, framed by the lighter trees, so I went with a 4:5 ratio.

1 Like

This looks like a watercolor painting, I’m glad that you waited this one out. The delicate colors are really nice. In the rework, I think dodging the tree trunk helped, but feel the two lower corners look a bit too bright, and might consider a vignette in those corners.

Sounds like Flow to me. And it looks like a Flow image. The rework is a definite improvement.

1 Like

Thanks, @Ed_McGuirk. I tried a bit of vignetting, but didn’t like it. Maybe just a tad would do, especially in the LRC.